1.14.2014

Rustic Framed Chalkboard Wall {DIY}



I hopped on the chalkboard bandwagon recently.
One of my goals for this year, was to improve our home command center.
Which had consisted of this tiny little green dry erase board.
It hung on the wall that divides the kitchen from the living room.  But, I wanted somewhere to put our dinner menu for the week, and a spot to leave notes for my kids.

I decided that a chalkboard wall would fill the bill perfectly and this was the ideal spot.
I used a level to mark off where I wanted the chalkboard wall to be and taped it off.
I covered it with two coats of chalkboard paint.  The instructions said to let it dry four hours in between coats.
I put my roller in a zip lock bag in between drying times.
I went ahead and painted the switch plate cover and the light switches got two very thin coats too.
The switch plate screws even got painted.

I wanted the frame to have a natural, rustic wood finish.  So, I got some unfinished pine moulding.
I made the cuts with my high tech miter box.
I used the same Danish wood oil that I used when I gave our coffee table a makeover.  I just rubbed it on with a lint free rag, until I got the color that I wanted.  After it dried, I put on a coat of satin polyurethane to protect the wood.
Jacob snapped this picture of me attaching the moulding using my electric brad nailer.  It was a little frustrating getting the moulding level and plumb on my own, but somehow I managed.
There's a little ledge on the bottom that's the perfect spot to hold a few pieces of chalk.
I've been using it to write out our dinner menu for the week and the bottom is usually never this clean.  It's usually full of pictures that the kids have scribbled on.
We're having fun with our new chalkboard wall, and we all agree that it's a big improvement over the little green dry erase board.

Thanks for dropping by!







Linking this post up to these great blogs!:
Savvy Southern Style
Delineate Your Dwelling, Serenity Now, Home Stories A to Z, DIY Showoff

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting a chalkboard spot forever. I like that you added trim to the area, great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you included the switch plate into your chalk wall. Love the frame too1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! So glad you stopped by.

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Comments are moderated so it may take awhile for yours to show up.